Wednesday, June 16, 2010

They Grow Up So Fast

I was sitting on the couch this morning, drinking my coffee and watching Logan play when I was struck with the realization that she is almost 1 year old! I never thought the day would come! When you become a new mom, people everywhere always say "Enjoy every second. They grow up so fast!" And I would always nod my head agreeingly, like I knew just what they were talking about. I had no idea! You can't possibly anticipate how time flies with your own child. One day you're worrying about supporting their tiny, fragile head and the next day you're catching them in mid-air as they take a death defying leap off the bed! Gone are the days of feeding every 2-3 hours, pumping in the backseat of the car, and counting wet and dirty diapers (not such a bad thing!) But also gone are the days of endless snuggling, immobility, and that delicious newborn baby smell. I miss my tiny 6lb 8oz bundle of perfection. In the same breath, I am filled with an aching joy and love for my 21 lb TODDLER! (how did that happen??) I actually feel my heart swell when she bounces on her little knees, reaches her goldfish crumbled hands up in the sky towards me and says "mamamama". Everyday is an adventure. She is fascinated with things like water bottles, remote controls, keys, toothbrushes (why do we have an entire house full of toys??) I love to watch her figure things out. Her blue eyes light up when she finally gets the purple triangle to fit through the right triangle shaped hole in her shape box. She is definately a determined little thing. Yesterday she was following Jason from the living room to the bedroom and for the first time, she kept trying to stand up and walk instead of crawl. Over and over again she would tumble over, stand up, take a few steps, fall down, repeat. She never got frustrated and she never took the easy route of just crawling. She would look back at me as I cheered her on but kept moving forward. I hope and pray that that determination and attitude to never give up follow her all of her days. And I pray that she knows I will always be behind her cheering her on. So, for now, I am soaking up every moment. The big bright toothy smile when she sees me first thing in the morning, the wonder in her eyes when she makes a new discovery, the short lived fits of horror when I take away the fork she somehow managed to get out of the dishwasher, and the turkey and cheese rug she creates around her highchair. I will hold on to her smell right after her bath and the 2 second snuggle I get every now and then before she is off on another adventure. After all...they grow up so fast.

Then:





Now:





Love,
Erin

4 comments:

  1. Oh my word...this brought tears to my usually tear-less eyes! Seriously!! Made me want a baby of my own sooner rather than later, which is my typical answer to people these days, later! Ugh, so sweet friend!! Miss you tons! -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I just had to re-read it...and re-cry about it. Crap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well geez! Very sweet but a tear jerker for sure!!
    I mean, Sarah cried! wow! ;)
    I'm gonna remember that you said you want babies sooner than later Sarah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Erin!
    I am so glad you left a comment on my blog so I can follow your blog now! Such a sweet post. Logan is BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Being a Mommy is so much fun huh :) Glad to see you are doing wonderful!

    ReplyDelete